Currently alive, at 89 years of age.
Categories: echo $strCat;?>
1930 – Born on the 15th of November, in Ogden, Utah.
– Attended Brigham Young University for her Bachelors Degree.
– Attended Stanford University for her Masters Degree.
– Attended the University of Utah for her Doctorate Degree.
– Married Myron Walker and is the mother of seven children and grandmother of 25 grandchildren.
– Utah State House of Representatives for eight years.
– Founded Salt Lake Education Foundation and served as its director. Also served as director of the Utah Division of Community Development. She has chaired the Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice, the Utah State Housing Coordinating Committee, the Governor’s Commission on Child Care, and the National Conference of Lieutenant Governors.
2003 – Governor of Utah on the 3rd of November, 2003 after Mike Leavitt resigned his office to serve as Administrator of the EPA.
2004 – The Utah Republican Party at its convention on the 8th of May, 2004 elected not to place Walker on the ballot for the party primary, selecting instead Jon Huntsman, Jr. and Nolan Karras as the two potential Republican party candidates for the office of Governor of the State of Utah.
2005 – Served as Governor until the end of Leavitt’s term on the 3rd of January, 2005.
– Shortly after becoming governor, she selected former State Representative Gayle McKeachnie to be her lieutenant governor. She was the first female governor to be sworn in by a female Chief Justice of the State Supreme Court, Christine Durham.